re: coal

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:51:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Mark Lawrence Storch <mscc+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Re: Substrates (Coal?)

Excerpts from mail: 30-Mar-97 Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #616 by Aquatic
P. Digest@actwin
> Anyone experimented with coal as the primary substrate in a planted
tank? What
> problems might it cause? I like the idea of a black bottom ;-)

I would imagine that coal has a lot of nasty stuff that could leach into
your aquarium (phosphates, sulfates and silicates would be my first
guesses).  The big steel companies here in Pittsburgh all used coke
because it was purified carbon and didn't have the impurities of coal.

Mark Storch
mscc at andrew_cmu.edu