Re: EDDHA safety/Hydra eradication

Sparrow wrote....

>Is iron chelated by EDDHA ok for use in the aquarium? I got some at a garden
>shop today about 4 for 250g @ 2% Fe, 2% MgO, and 3% Mn. I am not sure whether
>to put it in the substrate or to dissolve it and pour it in. Your thoughts
>please?

It should be fine for plants. You let us know how the fish fare.
Dissolve it as you would the Fe:EDTA in PMDD.

Allan Barber wrote....
>I hate to bring up a dead issue, but I have a HYDRA problem.  In recent
>weeks discussion has centered on several methods of eradicating this pest.
>
>Are there any others?

One method is to add 5 grains/gallon (78 ppm) of ammonium nitrate.
Another is to heat the tank to 106 F for ten minutes removing the
fish of course. Both methods are safe.

>And what can be done to insure that they do not return?

Be careful and sterilize everything that goes into the tank.

>I would rather not tear my tanks down, UC they are heavily planted and there
>are eggs and young within the tanks.  Some of which I would not be able to
>find in order to remove them.
>
>Do hydra have any known aquatic enemies?

>Something along the order of a chinese algae eater for algae?

Reportedly some fish such as the blue gourami will eat them.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca