Fish parasite or 'aquatic scale insect'

I cleaned my Magnum canister filter last night and noticed numerous small
bumps on the inside of the filter body. It is about 1/16 in in diameter,
somewhat oval in shape and mobile. When I observed it under the dissecting
scope, it looked exactly like a terrestrial scale insect or more like a
miniature abalone, with a shell and a slug like body underneath. Does
anybody know what it is ? Is it a fish parasite ? If it is, does it have a
free swimming larval stage where I can kill it with a UV sterilizer ? I
have not noticed them in the tank or gravel but I'm sure thay are there.
Thanks in advance.