Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #612

Subject: Shipping R. macrandra

>Is there something in modern day newspapers eg. ink, solvents and goodness
>knows what else, that is harmful to plants and fishes.

I have no idea about fish.  As far as plants are concerned, for _most_
plants, shipping them wrapped firmly in damp newspaper is about the safest
way I know to get them trough in one piece.  R. macrandra is just so
fragile that it can't take it.

------------------------------

Subject:  Hygrophila growth

>I'm not sure I understand the connection between the substrate and the
>successful growth rate of H. polysperma.  H. polysperma in my tank send out
>roots at the various nodes throughout the stem.  I always assumed that the
>roots derived the nutrients from the water column.  They eventually get
>into the substrate, but the growth rate before and after they make it into
>the gravel appears to be the same.

I've heard many other people say the same thing.  All I know is that in
_my_ water, I can only grow it in a soil substrate.  (the same is true with
several other plants)  My best _guess_ is that either the hardness of my
water, or the residual copper levels block nutrient uptake directly from
the water column.  If anyone else has any educated guesses why this is so,
I'd love to hear them.

Subject: Anubias ID

>	Sound like an Anubias hastafolia.  Karen?

Could be, particularly if it's quite a large plant.  But I haven't seen
hastifolia often.  Most of what is sold as hastifolia is gracilis.  Trouble
is that several species (including A. barteri angustifolia) can also grow
leaves of that general shape under the right conditions.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association