Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #606

<< > From: eworobe at cc_UManitoba.CA
 > Subject: Re: Dan Quakenbush
 >
 > I have always and consistently advocated a 'low-tech' approach to the
 > culture of aquarium plants. I have always maintained that equipment such
as
 > undergravel heaters, pH controllers, CO2 injection systems, expensive
 > 'full spectrum' lights, fancy substrate additives etc are unnecessary. I
 > also agree with you that many novices are scared off by the seeming
 > difficulty of growing aquatic plants under these conditions, especially
 > since they are convinced that they require this equipment in order to
 > succeed.

I have to agree.  I was {am} a victim of this.  It seems like I have the
hardest time getting to grow my plants that actually look good.  The
pet store down my street, has the best looking plants growing in his
tank. It's a small shop. Most business is grooming.  He has a few
tanks mostly plants some times a batch of angels. A little while back
his light gave out. Goes to home depot buys a shop light, plugs it in
and that's it.  Plants grow like crazy for him.  Also, does little maint.
on the tanks.
He even has a Madagascar lace growing {though, not for sale}