Re: crypts and HCO3-

Paul said
>That is very interesting! You say that Hygrophila failed, but that C.
>wendtii thrives.
[snip]

>You don't suppose that Crypts can utilize bicarbonate???

I remember reading (in some botanical journal) that C. griffithi can use
HCO3- . We know from many aquarists that C. affinis and does well in high
alkalinity. And it might even be less prone to melt.   Florida plant farms
grow many crypts quite well underwater using their alkaline ground water.
Many people report that they have good success and perhaps better success
with all crypts in water that is hard and alkaline. This all support the
above, doesn't it?

Neil Frank      Aquatic Gardeners Association         Raleigh, NC
      The Aquatic Gardener - journal of the AGA -  now in its seventh year!!