Re: random thoughts from DQ

Dan Quackenbush wrote:

>     This country probably turns out more fish hobbiest than any other
> country. I suspect it also has the quickest dropout rate and lowest
> percentage of plant tanks. My agenda is to change this. Based on 15
> years of running pet shop chains, I don't think high-tech, high expense,
> highly technical tank talk and often high maintence aquariums is going
> to improve this dismal showing. I think simple, inexpensive,
> non-technical, but easy to replicate methods will be the key to that
> end. Where the hobbiest goes from there is fine with me. I could use
> help from anyone, even the academic community, in this pursuit.
>       This will likely be my last post here, except to defend my
> position if needed. BTW it's not because of the curtness of the
> wouldn't mind having answered about this forum.
> 1. Do you have any interest in seeing this hobby grow?
> 2. If so, how do you think it will be accomplished?
> 3. Do you acknowledge low-tech as a viable alternative?
> 4. If so, what form?
>
> Best to you all,
> Dan Quackenbush

Gosh, you don't need to be so sensitive ;-). I for one enjoyed reading
your post, and by the way, I'm getting great results out of backyard
dirt and Osmocote tables. I don't spend money at Aquarium stores any
more - I've got more store credit for plants than can I dump into my
tank both as fish and food for them.

> 1. Do you have any interest in seeing this hobby grow?
Hmmmmm, if everybody could grow plants like I can - no more fish store
credit for me.
> 2. If so, how do you think it will be accomplished?
> 3. Do you acknowledge low-tech as a viable alternative?
Yes.
> 4. If so, what form?
Whatever works! Is that not the ultimate test?

Paul