Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #602

> From: krombhol at felix_teclink.net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:14:36 -0500
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #597
>
> - ------------------------------

[snip, snip, snip]

> If you have a tank that gets sun, and the plants get the pH up to 8.0 or
> higher, you should stay with plants like Vallisneria, Sagitteria,
> Ceratophyllum, Eigeria (Elodea), Najas, and Echinodorus.  Even in this
> group there will be differences in ability to get CO2.  I suspect that
> Eigeria and Najas could win out over Echinodorus, for example.  Hygrophila
> is a good indicator plant.  If it doesn't grow in this tank, then don't
> even think about trying any of the Crypts.  In general, plants that grow
> well emersed, but can also grow submersed will need higher CO2 levels than
> those which are more fully adapted to submersed growth.

[snip]

I understand the reasoning here that crypts shouldn't be tried in a tank
where hyrophila fails.  What puzzles me is that I have a sunlit tank w/o
added CO2 where the pH exceeds 9 and hygrophilla has failed but where C.
wendtii (? <shrug>) and C.  balansae thrive along with Elodea,
Ceratophyllum and Vallisneria.  The wendtii in fact have been in nearly
continuous, submersed bloom for the last 6 weeks.

Is it possible that these species could store CO2 at night while the
others respire, then use it in the day (what I think I've  read described as
acid crassularian metabolism) or that they may be capable of getting CO2
through their roots like Isoetes ferns?

> Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174
> In Jackson, Mississippi with sunny, pleasant spring weather.

Roger Miller
Too curious to keep my mouth shut.