Re: Alternanthera sessilis

> From: krandall at world_std.com
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:12:39 -0500
> Subject: Alternanthera
>
> Subject: Re: Alternanthere sessilis
> Karl wrote:
>
> >I just saw a fresh shipment of this plant from Florida.  It came in labeled
> >as "Sunset Hygrophila".
>
> I assume you know that there really is a Hygro called "sunset", and you
> mean that the Alternanthera came in by mistake instead?

Karen,

In this case, the plant was labeled Hygro "sunset" on the "pull ticket" as
well as the invoice, while the printed label placed in the pot clearly
identified it as A. sessilis.  I'm not trying to make a case for what it is
as that is clear.

It is this sort of labeling that leads to confusion in the stores as well.
Everything can't be blamed on an "inexperienced" clerk. 8-)

A. sessilis will "tolerate" submersed planting for a time.  I have raised it
in aquariums for several months, until it gradually weakened and died.  I guess
the term "raised" could well be changed to "watched".  It did, however put
out new shoots and leaves and showed some signs of good health. In addition,
while it was evident that the plant would not prosper, it made a brilliant splash
of red amongst the shades of green and brown.

Karl

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Ellistonk at aol_com
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:48:50 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: Alternanthere sessilis
> I'm a little surprised. I've always seen Sunset Hygro sold as Hygro poly var.
> "Sunset", and always assumed it was a hygro. I've grown it for years side by
> side my Hyro poly and they grow almost identically. Now I know it's really
> Alternanthera sessilis.  (snip)

Kent,

My mistake for not differentiating between Hygrophila polysperma var. "sunset"
and Alternanthera sessilis incorrectly named or identified as the same.

To state it simply: Hygro sunset a pinker version of Hygro polysperma.

Aternanthera sessilis is extremely red, but otherwise looks very similar to
Hygro polysperma or Hygro polysperma var. "sunset" _in leaf shape only_.

Sorry,

Karl