Re: Leaking Duplarit and a Plea for Politeness

Good Morning Everyone,

Two things to talk about today...

First, Dirk  has been having a problem with Duplarit in his soft water
tank. George has already posted about this, so I hope I'm not being
redundant (what, me redundant???)

> From: Dirk
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:14:51 -0600
> Subject: Duplarit Disaster--HELP
>

> Questions:
> 1.  Reading George and others on clay, laterite, kitty litter, CECs, etc.
> makes me wonder whether adding this much MgSO4 is going to reduce the
> effectiveness of the laterite.
>
> 2.  Has anyone successfully used Duplarit in a softwater setup?

I can't speak to your first question, but the second is in my ball park. I
use a TFC Reverse Osmosis filter unit to purify ALL of the water which goes
into my 120 gallon plant tank. While the quality of the water straight out
of the R/O unit does not match triple distilled water, it is surely clean
and pure enough for our purposes as aquarists. Using both LaMotte and Hach
test kits I can demonstrate that my water is SOFT (don't ask for numbers,
after the brewha over blue water in plastic buckets I'm afraid of being
jumped upon by the "experts"). In order to provide sufficient hardness to
maintain the pH of the tank as CO2 is introduced, I add a small quantity of
Kent R/O Right and plain old Baking Soda. All evaporative losses (about a
gallon per day) are straight R/O water. But the bottom line is that my
tank's water is SOFT.

The substrate of my tank contains a LOT of Duplarit G (1500 g), plus
several kilograms of Red Art Clay (you want to talk about something
messy?). My tank has been clear from day one.  Both additives were mixed
with the lower third of the gravel and then covered with a good three
inches of clean gravel. I was VERY careful when I added water to the tank
and never had any problem with the laterite or the clay particles getting
into the water column.

Have you contacted Dupla over this? In my experience, they are VERY
responsive to customer enquiries and if they don't have an immediate answer
they will go to great lengths to find out what you need to know (see my

Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the substrate is not being disturbed in
your tank? No undergravel filters or overly enthusiastic gravel vacuming
being done? Any diggers among your fish population? Do you have any small
children who could be "fishing" when you are not around?

I have experienced problems with Duplarit in the past but was ALWAYS able
to pin the blame on gravel disturbance or poor initial setup.

***

Now, the second point....  Sister Agness mode ON...

> From: "A. Inniss" <andrewi at u_washington.edu>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:04:44 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: On Disagreeing, and a CO2 Q or 2.
>
> 	OK, this is getting out of hand:  Craig, Toado (and Dave).  Look,
> a lot of us here rely on you three to keep our chemistry in line, and I
> know that I, at least, look forward to having some of my plants/chem
> questions answered in more technical detail by people like you who are
> qualified to give responses.
> holier than thou! <g>.  I am sincere, however, about wishing that
> disagreements on  this group would continue to be a little 'kinder and
> gentler' <g>.
>

> From: Craig Bingman <cbingman at netcom_com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:52:39 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: EDTA and blue water..#592 (fwd)
>
> This is absolutely the last I have to say about either of these topics.

Amen to that, brother!

This plastic bucket thread has been worked to death and is degenerating
into a series of personal insults. Obviously, at least from my perspective,
some graduate schools need to add a course in manners to their PhD
programs. I half expect someone to start debating that their Doctorate is
better than someone else's.

To all of our "experts":

It may not be my place to say it, but while we greatly appreciate your
knowledge, please don't rub our noses into it! If you have a disagreement
with someone, take it private. I'm sure exchanges such as this latest one
are frightening a lot of the newbies on the list and keeping them quiet for
fear of being attacked. If you want to grandstand, buy your own theater.

For most of us, keeping planted aquaria is a HOBBY and done for relaxation.
Let's keep it that way.

O.K., Sister Agnes mode OFF. Enjoy your tanks.

James Purchase
jpp at inforamp_net