Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #590

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com wrote:

> >I am the empiricist who uses the kitty litter as a substrate and
> >Osmocote for fertilizer in the kitty litter/ covered by sand.

I'm sure it works for you.  the problem with stories like this is that
they are often somewhat dependent on "conditions" in the area of the
user.  The stability of the tanks without tweaking alkalinity or adding
CO2 may be due to an aspect of chemistry of your tap water, not
necessarily shared by readers around the country.  The fact that you get
by without heaters may be because the temperature of your house is better
regulated than some, or that the mean temperature is higher or lower.
Which one?  I don't know.  Or that you keep fish that are pretty
tolerant.  Live bearers are almost nuke-proof compared to discus.

It is important for an empricist to completely document their setup.

The Dupla crowd has a set of standard methods from which to work.  If you
want to be the champion of kitty kitter and osmocote, you need to tell
people more about the conditions in your system and other relevant
parameters.

Craig