Re: black sand

> From: freshwaterff at earthlink_net
>
> And now, for my next question... Several years ago, while digging the
> hole for a client's pond, I ran across several veins of heavy, fine,
> black sand.  It was in some stabilized sand dunes in Carlsbad, CA.  Of
> course, I saved quite a bit of it and am now tripping over its containers

> in my greenhouse.  I know that it is full of Fe (it is extremely weighty,

> >/= 75 lbs/ cu.ft.)and I guess my question is, does anybody out there
feel that there would be any advantage in using it as a substrate, or
> substrate additive, for my aquarium plants, or is it just a waste of
> time?  It is so fine that I'm certain that it will sift through the
> gravel in the aquarium and wind up in a layer on the tank bottom.  Thank
> you very much for your help.  D. Curtright.

I used a black sand called something like Marvel black beauty.
It was very high in Fe and was highly magnetic. It was also very
sharp. A little piece stuck to a magnetic scraper would scratch
the glass. It also found its way into small crevices in plants
and damaged them.

I finally quit using it after an autopsy showed it had shredded
the inside of a fish. Other than the sharpness and magnetism,
it was great.

Jon Wilson