Hydra and Kitty Litter

Subject: hydra eradication/ ammonium nitrite or sulphate

>In a book from 1962 that I have, it recommends using ammonium nitrite or
>sulphate to the water to get rid of hydra in a fry tank, at the dosage of 5
>grains per gallon or 1 part per 11,000.  I don't have fry, but I do have
>lots of plants and some scaleless clown loaches.  Would there be any ill
>effects if I did this for a few days?  I don't want to trade one headache
>for another.  Also, any idea what this dosage would be in terms of
>teaspoons per gallon, or something easier to measure?

If you don't have any fry in the tank, there's no need to resort to
chemicals to deal with hydra.  They can't hurt adult fish, so unless you
_really_ hate them, there's nothing you need to do at all.  If you feel you
_must_ get rid of them, though, a Gourami or two will clean them out in no
time flat.

Subject: Kitty Litter

>> This is in reply to Karen Randalls dubious endorsement of my use of
kitty litter.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't endorsing the use of kitty litter,
dubiously or otherwise ;-)

But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.  People around here add
the darndest things to their substrate.  You're not the first, and I
seriously doubt you'll be the last.<g>
Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association