hydra eradication/ ammonium nitrite or sulphate

In a book from 1962 that I have, it recommends using ammonium nitrite or
sulphate to the water to get rid of hydra in a fry tank, at the dosage of 5
grains per gallon or 1 part per 11,000.  I don't have fry, but I do have
lots of plants and some scaleless clown loaches.  Would there be any ill
effects if I did this for a few days?  I don't want to trade one headache
for another.  Also, any idea what this dosage would be in terms of
teaspoons per gallon, or something easier to measure?

Kelly

http://www.borg.com/~skribb19
"Candle?  What candle?  I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"