laterite, aluminum, silicates and plants

     Thanks to Pat Jellison, Roger Miller and others who have helped
     clarify my understanding of what laterite is. Let me cover a few
     points as I understand them and correct me where I go wrong.

     The term laterite is not precise. There is not a consistent scientific
     definition nor should we expect commercial aquarium additives to
     necessarily be labelled or identified precisely. A loose definition of
     laterite would be soil primarily composed of iron oxide and hydroxides
     which have little or no calcium, magnesium or carbonate compounds and
     which are low in aluminum and silicates.

     For the purposes for use in planted aquariums, it _may_ not be that
     important that we use a laterite which has had every last bit of
     aluminum or silicate leached out. The laterites commonly sold probably
     contain some amounts of kaolinite (a low solubility aluminum silicate:
     Al2Si2O5(OH)4). My suspicion is that one of the reasons for using
     laterite is that it won't greatly affect the water hardness and pH.

       1. Will the presence of silicates make any difference to aquatic
     plants?

       2. Will aluminum silicates be sufficiently soluble to pose aluminum
     toxicity problems for plants if the substrate pH goes below 6?

     I could only see a substrate with low pH if there were significant
     amounts of organic material such as peat or humus. My questions on
     aluminum toxicity are more to do with why laterite might be preferred
     to various clays or soils and how we might evaluate the potential for
     problems with cheaper commercial clays such as pottery clays (see my

       3. Would these organic materials tend to form aluminum complexes,
     mitigating any problems with aluminum plant toxicity?

       4. Suppose there were aluminum ions in the substrate which diffused
     into the water which had a pH of 6.5 or higher; would it be
     precipitated or oxidized? Would it pose a problem for fish or
     invertebrates?

       5. What is sesquioxidic Fe or Al? Fe2O3? Al2O3?

       6. What are halloysite, Oxisols, Ultisols and Spodosols?

     BTW, I did check my reference on silicon dioxide/aluminum silicate =
     glass and my excuse is that it was late at night. The chemistry book
     did mention some special types of glass with trace aluminum or other
     minerals.

     Steve