Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #571

Alexander Komarov <akomakom at eden_rutgers.edu> wrote:

>I use a 2 liter soda bottle with no leaksİ(pressure tested)  and a tube
>that simply extends about 5-7 inches below the surface.

Below the surface of the liquid?  That would explain your problem.  The gas collects above the surface of the liquid.

My fermentation setup works great.  But my tube doesn't even go into the bottle.  I have cemented a connector into the bottle cap, and the tube connects there.  It is possible that with the tube going so far down into the bottle, the gas isn't released properly.  I'm only guessing.

>My mixture
>contains 4 cups of sugar, anywhere from 1 to 5 tsp's of yeast, and a tsp
>baking soda (tried with and without it)

I use 2 cups of sugar.

>This produces good buildup of foam inside the bottle, but the bubbles
>that come out of the tube never exceed about 1 / minute.

Sounds like there is plenty of gas in there.  I see no foam at all in my bottle, yet I get a continuous stream of tiny bubbles.

>I use lukewarm water and make sure it is mixed well. I even tried adding
>some flour, as seen in a post a while back.

When baking with baker's yeast there are cautions as to how hot the water should get.  If it's too hot, it kills the yeast--so they say.  But if you're getting foam, I'd think your yeast is alive and well.

If you have your tube going down below the surface of the liquid, that's your problem.

David Corner                  **      dcorner at csus_edu
dcorner at innercite_com         **      dcorner at tlc_crc.losrios.cc.ca.us
             http://tlc.crc.losrios.cc.ca.us/~cornerdr/dc.html