Re: CO2 - no luck

> I use a 2 liter soda bottle with no leaks (pressure tested)  and a
tube
> that simply extends about 5-7 inches below the surface.

Do you mean that it is below the surface of the water in the bottle or
in the tank?
CO2 pressure would force the fermentation mix into the tube pushing a
little air from the tube into the tank, but no CO2.

> My mixture contains 4 cups of sugar, anywhere from 1 to 5 tsp's of
yeast, and a tsp
> baking soda (tried with and without it). I use lukewarm water and make
sure it is mixed well. I   > even tried adding some flour, as seen in a
post a while back.

I am using 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp. yeast, and a tsp of baking soda and
get CO2 for weeks.  Also, I use spring water or R/O water left over from
a water change.  Any chlorine and whatnot in the water will kill the
yeast for sure.  A problem I had initially was when using warm water
(boiled to release gases like chlorine) and capping the bottle tightly
the cooling air in the bottle would cause the tank water to siphon into
the soda bottle(!!!!!).  Again you have a case where the CO2 pressure
has to overcome the extra weight of the fluid in the tube.  If you must
use warm water mix it up but leave the top open until the beasties are
foaming away nicely and then cap the bottle.

Good luck!

Michael