Filtering with Peat

I have a 29-gallon tank, with a full complement of fish, and moderately
planted.  I inject fermented CO2.

I recently began filtering with peat because my tank tends to run at high
pH.  The fish seem happy, the plants seem happy, and I could swear that
the whole tank looks cleaner every time I put fresh peat in, though I
have no idea why this would be the case.

I notice that bubbles tend to collect at the surface, which I assume is
due to organic compounds in the water, coming from the peat.

My question is, do I have to put in the expensive aquarium peat, at $3.50
for a few ounces?  Or can I buy a cheaper bag of peat at the garden shop?
 Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

David Corner                  **      dcorner at csus_edu
dcorner at innercite_com         **      dcorner at tlc_crc.losrios.cc.ca.us
             http://tlc.crc.losrios.cc.ca.us/~cornerdr/dc.html