Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #565

> I recently purchased the FasTest Nitrate test kit and the ReaSea Iron =
> (and CO2) test kits.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has used either of these kits?  And if so were =
> they found at least somewhat accurate?
>
> I wonder because I have tried the Nitrate kit 3 times so far after =
> dosing (15 minutes after) increasing amounts of PMDD (with KNO3) and =
> still get zero for a reading.
>
> I also get 0 using the Iron test.

Here we go again.  Fastest nitrate test kit does not read to below 0.2
mg/L, 0.3 mg/L is a more realistic number.  The color match is a bit off
because of a light scattering effect from the residual cadmium fines that
stay suspended after the reaction is finished.  Low range colors look
peachy rather than red.

Low range iron is a tough thing to do, the only test that I believe at
<0.1 mg/L iron is the Hach Ferrozine chemistry with a potassium
persulfate digestion beforehand.

Craig