Carbon Filtration

Steve wrote:

>Since it is
>not important to maintain nitrifying bacteria in a filter, you can
>simply turn it off for a few days after you add a dose of chelated Fe.

While I agree completely that bacterial filtration(I think of plants as
"biological" filtration too) is fairly unimportant in a healthy planted
tank,  I sure wouldn't turn on a filter that had been sitting full of gunk
becoming anaerobic.  Maybe you meant that you clean the filter before you
turn it back on, but it didn't seem clear to me from your post.