Calcium Carbonate

Dear folks,
		I'm setting up a new tank using some giant vals and e.
Blerhi (amazon sword).  The water at the office is neutral to slightly
acidic and very soft < 1 degree german scale for both GH and KH.  I put
these plants in this water with a vermiculite/soil/worm casting substrate
under 2 inches of washed river gravel.  I have done this before with very
good results but in this case both of these hardy (in my experience)
plants are turning yellow and then clear and falling away. They have only
been in for under two weeks so they may recover but they are clearly not
happy.  Thus my idea is to add some hardness to the water, to better
replicate the water they have thrived in for the past three years.  To do
this I was thinking of adding some calcium carbonate and magnesium
sulfate.  So, how much? And where do I get the Calcium carbonate. I found
it in a generic label of tums but it also has sucrose in it which I
imagine won't do much harm.  MgSo4 is easy to get as epsom salts of
course.
		Any thoughts would be appreciated,

					Miles
					mmorriss at sophia_smith.edu

One of the things I love about aquatic plants is that you don't have to
remember to water them.  :-)