RE>Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #560

Greetings:
Donald Rudee asked about temperature effects on yeast. In the lab we grow
yeast optimally at 30C or about 86F.  They will be happy in your nice warm
cabinet, growing moderately and producing lots of nice CO2. The basement
temperature of 58 would really slow them down and I'd expect CO2 production to
be quite low.

When you mix up your yeast use lukewarm water to dissolve the sugar, soda, and
yeast; I swirl these ingredients with a minimal amount of water, then add cold
water to the right volume. The whole mix will equilibrate to the ambient temp
pretty soon. The only thing you must avoid is really hot water, which could
kill the yeast.

Have fun.

Christine