Chemical Filtration

     Like most people (I think) on this list, I do not use any form of
chemical filtration (e.g., carbon, etc.) for fear of plant nutrient loss.
Between weekly or biweekly water changes, the water becomes noticeably
yellowish and dingy as expected without the carbon. I would certainly like to
use a filtration media that would yield a continuously colorless water. So, is
anyone using carbon, perhaps in small amounts, in their plant tanks without
causing significant nutrient deficiency ? If not, are there any other chemical
media that can be used successfully (e.g., Purigen, Renew, etc.) that are more
absorption/adsorption selective ?

Thanks, Mark.