re: CO2 and flour

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 20:26:48 -0500
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
From: Edziu Iskra <edziu at cybernex_net>
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #553

>>....When a recent sugar and water batch started to give out, I added one
>>teaspoon of whole wheat flour to the depleted mix.

[clip]

>This is an interesting finding that could mean a lot for all who produce
>CO2 by fermentation.
>
>Another possibility is that there could be some bacteria in there with the
>yeast, and that these bacteria can break down the starch in the flour to
>simple sugars.  The yeast could then use the sugars, and undoubtedly the
>bacteria are using them also in the respiration process.

Also, whole wheat flour contains sugars and oils, as well.  It's whole food
for bacteria and yeasts; anyone who bakes knows that whole wheat dough will
rise without the need for nearly as much additional seeteners as white
flour.  The original selling point for white flour over whole wheat was the
white flour has a longer shelf life on account of rats won't eat it.

That says something to me.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more from people who experiment with using complex
whole-food mixes for their CO2 generators and what kind of results they get.

                        Edziu