Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #557

In a message dated 97-03-04 07:21:17 EST, Neil wrote:

<< Are you saying that one can leach the water soluble
 nutrients out of soil that contains iron oxide and end up with a product
 useful to plants? >>

This reminds me that one of the old techiques for microalgae culture was to
use something called "soil extract" as a source of nutrients and trace
elements.  I don't remember the details but this technique was replaced with
growth media that include iron, etc., so the extract may have provided some
of the same chemicals found in PMDD.  Anybody have a 1950's algae culture
manual?

Pete Mohan