algae-eating livebearers

I have been battling algae in my heavily planted tank since last December
and am starting to feel as if progress is being made.   In this 40gal tank
I currently have 5 Otocinclus and 2 SAE's (as algae-eating fish).

Certain (mostly European) references refer to some livebearers as good
algae eaters - black mollies are often mentioned.  Does anyone have
experience with this?  Will platies, mollies, etc. eat algae?  What kind?
Will they pick it off of fine-leaved plants (my current problem).  More
importantly, will they also eat the higher plants themselves?  My local
aquarium store does not know the answer.
Thanks,
--

Roxanne Bittman, Botanist                    Natural Heritage Division
Phone: (916) 323-8970                 __o     CA Dept of Fish and Game