[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #548

> From: Augustine J Rodriguez <rodrigaj at uwec_edu> (Augustine Rodriguez)
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 06:24:15 -1108
> Subject: Algae on Roots
>
> Does alagae growth on roots of plants that grow outside of the substrate
> (i.e., Hygrophila, Ludwegia, etc.) inhibit their growth in any way?
> Does it prevent transport of nutrients to the plant?
>
> The recent thread on transport mechanisms has caused me to wonder about this.

I wonder if the algae doesn't help.  In terrestrial soils, much recent
research has shown that a huge variety of funguses in the soil are
beneficial, and that, in fact, many of them are NECESSARY for the optimal
function of many plants' root structures.  Many long-lived trees, for
example, rely heavily on underground fungal structures to act as liquid
and nutrient transports.  Good earth is very alive.

It makes me wonder if aglae, in moderation, may serve a beneficial
purpose in some places.  Though I doubt it. . .

			Edziu

> From: sealaw at nela_org (Macon Cowles)
> Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:13:08 -0700
> Subject: Location of FAQ
>
> I am a new subscriber and I would like to read the FAX before participating
> in the conference.  However, when I followed major domo's instructions
> about where the FAQ reside
> (http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/FAQ/plants.html), I get the message on
> netscape that that location is not available on this server, or the link is
> outmoded.
>
> Can someone please give me the correct address?

I had the same frustrating problem when I first started reading the list.
As I recall, you'll find that the address is correct, but the document
name is wrong.  Try again under "plant.html" and "plants.htm"; one of
those worked for me.  Unfortunately, I'm under a text term right now.

				Edziu