[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #526

From: "Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM" <williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil>

> I'm curious about peoples experiences with bare bulbs and splashing fish.
> If memory serves, a poster many months ago mentioned having VHO bulbs and
> how if water splashed on them they would break.......

I think this might have been me.

> ..... I'd like to eliminate the glass cover currently holding up the plastic
> bulb covers that came with the tank to maximize the light......
> discus splash during feeding...... the few cory catfish in the tank splash
> when they get air at the surface.

I tried exactly the same and removed the plastic condensation tray from beneath
the lights. This now places the bare bulbs about 2 inches from the water
surface.

Light penetration and plant growth definitely improved. There has been no
problem from either the active shoal of corys or the large splashy pl*c. I was
also concerned about condensation on the bulbs' terminals; this too has been
no problem. The only -ve effect was a large increase in evaporation.

Mick Nally