[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Drilling Acrylic

RGemmill at aol_com asked:

>I'v just purchased a wet/dry filter for my new plant tank.  The sump is made
>of acrylic and I need to drill a hole in the side for a bulk head fitting.
> As this is an expensive piece of plastic and I don't want to screw it up,
>I'm looking for recommendations on how to drill the hole.  The filter is an
>Amiracle 150.

Allways use a cutting fluid, water works very well, when you drill acrylic.
Otherwise your drill will heat up and melt the acrylic and you'll get an
oversize hole. Also use a smaller diameter drill bit to pilot drill the
hole. A pilot hole will reduce the tendancy of your bit to wander.

Paul

Paul Nicholson			Electronic Imaging Systems, Inc.
TEL 805 532 1068		5148 Commerce Avenue, Unit F
FAX 805 532 1065		Moorpark, CA, 93021, U.S.A.
paul at eisusa_com			http://www.eisusa.com