[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Calcium Supplement (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 07:10:36 -0800
From: amc2 at ix_netcom.com
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com
Subject: Re: Calcium Supplement

>>From: Thomas Price <tprice at u_washington.edu>
>Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:08:15 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Calcium supplement
>
>Does anyone add calcium to their tanks?  I think my tank might have a
>calcium deficiency, since the local water is very soft, and my amazon
>sword is putting out leaves that are somewhat stunted and mishshapen,
>but otherwise normal.  I want to add a little calcium, but really don't
>want to increase the KH using carbonate.  I have thought about
>adding some calcium chloride that I have, or maybe some eggshells.  Does
>anyone know what calcium chloride would do, or what form the calcium is in
>eggshells?

Tom:

A simple clam shell, oyster shell or oyster shell chips (found at country
feed stores) will do the trick for you.  The shells can be removed easily
if necessary, but I leave mine in the aquarium all the time; and the
chips should be put in a net bag in your filter in the event that
you want to ever remove them.  I guess that egg shells would also be o.k.
but you will lose them in the aquarium.

Good luck!

Merrill