[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: UGH wattage [was voltage]

> From: RGemmill at aol_com
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:38:50 -0500 (EST)
>
> I have spent some time researching the archives on UGH's.  Everyone
> seems to agree that both versions (low wattage .1-.2 watts/l and high
> wattage .5 watts/l ) are very benefical to plant growth.  However, the
> issue of long term stability with the low wattage approach remains in
> question.  As many of the comments on this topic are somewhat dated
> (1994-1995) I'm curious about the current thinking on this topic.

Four data points:

A 90g tank with 250w of substrate heat ran for over 4 years with no
signs of instability or reduction in growth characteristics.

A 120g tank with 100w of substrate did OK but was not setup long
enough to tell much.  However, it was prone to some algaes.

A 100g tank with 100w of substrate heat did not show resistance to
algae types that existed prior to adding the coils.

The same 100g tank with 200w cables is now free of problem algaes.

-------

If I was going to set up new tanks, I would go with 1.5 to 2 watts per
gallon.  Actually, I did resetup all our tanks due to remodeling and
did go with 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon.

George