[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: RO/DI Water

Doug Skokna wrote:

>Several other posts also make the point that these purified waters
>may harbor dangerous pathogens, since the substances added to
>control them, usually chlorine or chloramines, have been removed
>by the purification process.

I'm not so sure that you can call them "dangerous pathogens".  I
believe that the most common microbe found in improperly
circulating RO/DI systems is Pseudomonas sp. which is fairly
ubiquitous in nature.  Ingesting it in large quantities, however might
give you an upset stomach. (If there is a microbiologist on the list
please correct me if I'm wrong.)

>This raises a question in my mind:  What about the aquariums we
>keep?   Since most of us remove the chlorine/chloramine by
>adding chemicals or through carbon filtration and if RO water is a
>potential bio-hazard due to their removal, are aquariums also a
>potential breeding ground for the dangerous bacteria?  Or, is there
>some biological process in our aquariums that keeps the levels of
>harmful bacteria low?

You wouldn't want to drink your aquarium water either, although I
have done so inadvertantly on several occasions while siphon
cleaning my gravel :)  As long as you keep up with regular
maintenance and the water you use for your changes doesn't
originate at a sewage outfall you shouldn't worry about waterborne
diseases.

>Also, does anyone know of instances of "Legionnaires" bacteria
>being present in either RO/DI storage units or in aquariums?  If I
>recall, the "Legionnaires" bacteria will grow in untreated water such
>as roof top cooling water units if not trreated.

Now that's a scary thought.

Jonathan, in sunny and springlike Maryland (hope it lasts).