Re: Transformer question (experts??)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:39:02 -0500, you wrote:

I would venture a guess that a "switching" transformer is a power supply that
makes 12v or 24v DC output.  Most of the people I have written to and the plans
I have read for 12v to 40v AC ouput since it is cheaper to build.

As far as safety goes I don't think there is really much difference at these
voltage levels between AC and DC.

>DIYUGH a couple of years ago with what I think he called a "switching"
>tranformer.  Is this unsafe.  I guess what I'm saying is that I am woefully
>ignorant when it comes to transformers and I'm wondering what's at stake.


>What a cool list, eh?  One minute botany, the next chemistry, the next
>electronics, the next fish. . . .

I know, it's pretty eclectic, that is one of it's attractions.  :-)

*Mike Roberts - mike at microspan_com
*North American Internet, Ltd. - http://www.nail.net
*Colorado Springs, CO - (719) 635-NAIL

*Providing affordable ISDN to the Front Range...