[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:extra algae eaters?

     >Can anyone recommend some extra algae eaters for an outbreak of
     >hairy, light green algae that grows at the top of the tank -- on the
     >glass and on the tops of the plants. I'm having a hard time keeping
     >up with it. The otos and SAEs seem to rarely go up to the top of the
     >tank. I need something that will pick at it near the surface. Would
     >Mollies be good? Would they survive in unsalted water? Any
     >suggestions?
     Platys and swordtails would be a good choice for an unsalted tank.
     They graze constantly, and seem to prefer the upper levels of an
     aquarium.  I got a pair of platys just for this purpose about a year
     ago, and they ate a lot of the algae at the upper reaches.  They breed
     like mad, though.  This pair produced over 200+ offspring in a year.
     Of course, you could eliminate this problem by getting all females or
     all males (however,the females may already be pregnant when you buy
     them; one insemination can last for up to 5 pregnancies).  They are
     easy to sex--the male has a prominent gonopodium, while the females
     does not.