[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide as ich medication

> Ich has attacked my clown loaches. I saw a medication in the store which
> was 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Recommended dosage was 5ml/10gallon/day. It cost
> $2.99 for 4 oz. so I stopped at the drug store and bought 16 oz for $0.47
> (also a 3% solution).
>
> Does anybody know the effectiveness of H2O2? I assume it's much safer for
> plants than copper based medications.

    I can't see how hydrogen peroxide would be of any use for treating ich.
As soon as it hits the water it would break down into oxygen and water.
(2H2O2 --> 2H20 + O2).  Unless your ich shows a peculiar sensativity to
one of these chemicals, that's obviously not going to be of much use.
Are you sure the hydrogen peroxide was listed as the main active ingredient
and not just part of the mixture?  Ah well--at any rate, it would certainly
be safe for plants.  :-)

Nathan H.