[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Removing Trumpet Snails

Drew wanted a method to remove them, while most of us actively promote
the MTSs as near-ideal scavengers!

Most snails are very sensitive to copper. The only problem is that the
plants may (no, probably will...) wilt and go brown first.

I would go about it by uprooting all plants, and storing them in a
bucket. I would use a very coarse net to run through the substrate and
capture as many of the grown snails as possible.

Use the normal medicinal dose of copper medication. When the copper
sulfate or citrate hits the tank, expect a huge biological overload as
the remaining smaller snails die and try to foul the tank. A rapid
water-change routine should keep the fish from feeling the worst of the
effects of all that dead protein decaying in the water.

Replace the plants as soon as the copper is diluted down well, so they
can help soak up the unwanted nutrients and replace the essential lost
infusoria that the babies will need.

Wouldn't it be easier to move the Corys to a clean tank for their
spawning? That's what I usually do.

Good luck,

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley at ix_netcom.com