[Prev][Next][Index]

HAIR ALGAE

Since a few months I have some problems with hair algae.They grow
quit rapid in my aquarium. The FAQ about Hair algae (by George
Booth )give the following discription:.......

"  Hair algae

Grows in bright green clumps in the gravel, around the base of plants
like Echinodorus and around mechanical objects. It has acoarser texture
than "beard algae". Beard algae will ripple in the water current, hair
algae tends to form matted clumps.Individual strands can get to 5 cm or
more. This is easy to remove mechanically by twirling a toothbrush in
it.
Can be troublesome if left unchecked. This is a popular food supplement
for fish among European aquarists. "...........

I suspect that there is to much PHOSPHATE in the water.

1)Is there a TESTKIT available to determine the phosphate ?
2)I wonder if to use a PHOSPHATE REMOVER will slow down the growth of
the
ALGAE ?
3)Where does the phosphate originate ? (Vancouver BC area).

I tried to use bleach, but the algae returned.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://mypage.direct.ca/l/liem/ xxxxx