[Prev][Next][Index]

Stupid Plants

My stupid plants don't appreciate PMDD and more light.  I'm frustrated and
don't know what to do...HELP!  I went from 1.5 watts per gal to 3 watts per
gal last week.  About a month ago, a version of PMDD was added because the
tank was nitrogen limited.  I add 5 drops of TetraPond Flora Fin with a
guaranteed analysis of N - 0.55%, P2O5 - 0.00% and K2O - 6.60% which is
added every 2-3 days.  I also add 5 drops of Wiegandt GmbH's ferro vit for
additional iron.  The label doesn't give specific details (yes, I know
that's bad) and says its an "iron-complex fertilizer for freshwater
plants."  Since I'm not adding other micronutrients, I figured I could live
with it until I find a good micronutrient source.

Here's the problem - holes in the leaves and red algae.  Overall the black
brush algae plagueing the tank IS DEFINATELY going away.  Soft red algae
(looks like hair algae, only it's red) is forming on the lymnophelia.  This
evening I found lots of brownish or reddish algae growing on the front
glass of the tank.  I can live with these because its only temporary and
they can be removed.  But why are the plants developing holes in
them???????  AUGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

I asked about nutrient overdoses a few weeks ago and someone posted that
the clown loaches could be doing it.  But the same problem is occuring in a
loach free plant propagation tank only not as spectacularly.  The holes
occur most promanently on new growth - the Marble Queen sword leaf unfurled
and looked like swiss cheese!  Older leaves develop holes by slowly turning
brown in a few spots, the tissue disintegrates leaving the cellulose fibers
which then slowly desolve, too.  What am I doing wrong????

Frustrated in 73F Atlanta.
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil