[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: No Filter Planted Tank

> From: "Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM" <williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil>
> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 13:24:00 -0500
> Subject: No Filter Planted Tank
>
> I'm trying a no filter tank in the office and wonder if there is a
> specific FAQ or book recommended for general information.  Specifically,
> how does water circulation work in these tanks?  If the plants use up
> the available nutrients in the water that is touching them, how does the
> water move to provide a continuous supply?  Is Brownian motion enough?
>
>> tank info deleted <<

Rochelle,

  You can get circulation from several sources.  Filters and powerheads
provide mechanical agitation, and heaters give rise to convection
currents.  However, you have none of these.  If the room temperature
fluctuates, you will get some minimal convection at the tank surfaces, as
heat flows into or out of the tank.  Also, the fish will move some
water.  This won't result in much circulation, however.

I don't know why you don't have a heater or filter (I assume it's either
noise or price), but I would add at least an airstone if it were my tank.
I have a similar setup at my office, with a very small air pump and an
in-line valve like in the lee's kits.  I also have done all I can to
silence the air pump.  It's barely tolerable, but I wouldn't trust a tank
with no filtration and no circulation, either.

It just occured to me that using DIY CO2 to run the airstone would do the
job.  This would quietly inject a small amout of gas in to the water and
lead to at least some circulation.

Good luck
Tom