[Prev][Next][Index]

Size of "green water" algae

     Green algae commonly implicated as the cause of "green water" are
     Chlamydomonas, Carteria, Chlorogonium and Volvox.  All are flagellated
     green algae, and all are unicelluar except for Volvox, which is
     actually a multi-celled spherical colony.

     These unicelluar green algae are 5-10 microns in diameter, not
     including the flagella (add an extra 10-30 microns for the flagella).
     Volvox can get huge--up to 500 microns (half a millimeter--visible to
     the naked eye).

     A diatom filter claims to be able to filter out particles as small as
     one micron, which explains why a diatom filter can clear up green
     water in just a few hours.

     I have no idea what particle size a conventional filter can handle,
     but I can tell you my Hagen Aquaclear foam inserts were useless
     against green water.