[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: beating the electricity horse

>The transformer typically used with heating coils converts 110VAC to
>24VAC, not DC.  Most transformers that I know of are AC to AC.  Of
>course, there's that cool Transfomer that goes from an F-15 to an
>Amazon Goddess, but that's probably off the subject. <g>
>
>George

Oooooooooops.  Well, chalk that one up as a learning experience.  And
thanks to all who corrected my inaccurate description of transformer
operation.

When I designed my DIY heating cables, I sought out a transformer that
included a rectifying diode to convert the output to DC.  I was under the
impression that this was standard practice (for the reasons mentioned in my
earlier post).

I would highly recommend that anyone doing DIY heating cables use a DC
supply voltage.  And I'll reiterate Steve Pushak's message:  Safety First.

Steve in Ann Arbor,
where the warmth I'm feeling now is due to embarrassment, not the 10 deg temps

         ____
        |    |
        |    |
        |    \_-==-,
     `/  \        ,/'       Steve Robertson, GSRA
          ~\    ,/        UofM Radiation Laboratory
            @, /   http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~svr/
             \!