[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Beating the electricity horse

> From: svr at eecs_umich.edu (Steve Robertson)
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:58:05 -0500
>
> [ Tirade deleted ]
>
> Why this tirade?  I just wanted everyone to be clear on the fact that the
> real benefit of using a transformer for undergravel heating cables is NOT
> that you reduce the voltage from 120 volts to 10 volts (or whatever).  THE
> REAL reason is that you convert a potentially fatal AC line voltage to a
> much less harmful DC voltage.

Dontcha just hate it when a tirade goes wrong?

The transformer typically used with heating coils converts 110VAC to
24VAC, not DC.  Most transformers that I know of are AC to AC.  Of
course, there's that cool Transfomer that goes from an F-15 to an
Amazon Goddess, but that's probably off the subject. <g>

George