[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #390

> From: jphealy at SYSCONN_COM
> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 22:08:32 -0500
> Subject: re: Tungsten halogen
>
> About a month ago I bought a 300W tungsten halogen "driveway" lamp at
> Home Depot. I took it apart and used the innards as a light under my
> tank's hood. Within minutes of turning it on, the plants start putting
> out streams of Oxygen. The only problem I have had is dispersing the
> heat that it gives off. If I leave it on for more than two hours it
> brings the tank up to 82F from its normal 78F.

If you inserted the bulbs under a standard fluorescent hood, that's your
problem.  Not nearly enough venting.  If you could raise the lights, even
a few inches, and give them some venting, the convection currents would
run the system much cooler.

Note for others playing with high-wattage bulbs: make CERTAIN no splash
can hit your bulbs, or they will crack.  A 300W halogen gets hot enough to
crack from such liquids on it as the oil from your skin, so keep 'em clean
and clear of the water.

                                       --  Edziu