[Prev][Next][Index]

PMDD and Plantex CSM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 17:14:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Tim Mullins <tmullins at telerama_lm.com>
To: Aquatic Plants <Aquatic-Plants at ActWin_com>
Subject: PMDD and Plantex CSM

I have a question on PMDD. I'm no chemist, but I'll give it a go
(please let me know if you spot an error). As noted by Tom Polk,
Plantex's CSM now has no boron.  For a ratio of 7Fe to 1.26B
(5.5 to 1), I mixed 14/1 CSM to H3BO3 (Boric Acid) by wieght
(about 10.5/1 by volume). So, by weight,
      Regular CSM      CSM+B
Fe    7.0%             6.53%
Mn    2.0%             1.87%
Mg    1.5%             1.40%
Zn    0.4%             0.37%
Cu    0.1%             0.09%
Mo    0.05%            0.05%
B     0%               1.18%

Then for PMDD, I mixed with water to make 500mg solution:
1 tspn trace (CSM+B)
1 tspn MgSO4+7H2O (9 times Mg in trace so I added it)
1 tspn KNO3  (I need the nitrate)
2 tspn K2SO4

Which yields the following:
  Ratios to Fe       ppm
NO3    13.3         6567
K      28.9        14227
Mg      2.0         1003
Fe      1.0          493
Mn      0.29         141
Zn      0.06          28
Cu      0.01           7
Mo      0.01           4
B       0.18          89
So, assuming I did the math right, (a major assumption),
doesn't this have a high proportion of K to Fe? Also, Fe/B is
close to 5/1, but  Fe/Zn is not. Shouldn't it be? And, there is no
trace Co. Should there be? It looks like I'll have to add a lot of
this stuff to get tank Fe levels to 0.1 mG/L doesn't it? Anybody
have any other thoughts on ratios to Fe?

Thanks,
Tim - Pittsburgh