[Prev][Next][Index]

Electricity & Water (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:46:42 PST
From: spush at saudan_HAC.COM
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: Electricity & Water

OK, people are getting confused by all this talk about Voltage and Current.
Let me make it really simple for those of us who are not electrical safety
engineers. Do NOT put any electrical devices of any kind into or near your
aquarium which are not UA or CSA safety approved for use in aquariums.

Technically I suppose anyone who even publishes designs or drawings
might be held liable for damages should a situation arise where someone
else used those designs and then suffered injury or other loss and
decided to sue the designer.

Personally I don't like ANY undergravel electrical heating systems and
especially home made ones that _I_ might build. ;-) I think the ones
made using 30 AWG wire wrap are particularly UNSAFE. No way would those
ever get UA/CSA approval.

The comment about 120v AC being non-lethal is in my opinion, (let me
search for an appropriate adjective) SILLY! Where water is involved,
no voltages can be considered safe when there is hazard of an
electric potential being developed across your heart. This is also
true for 10V devices operated by a transformer.

Steve