Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #379

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996 02:47:03 -0500, you wrote:

>Before someone really gets annoyed with me, you can be quite effectively
>electrocuted by the batteries in a 12-volt flashlight. Yes, I did say 12
>volts. Palm to palm shock, two cut fingers, get yourself shorted to the
>batteries, they will produce sufficient current to shock the heart and stop
>it.  With a 12-volt car battery, it is easier, because it can produce a
>higher current (lower resistance inside the battery than the batteries in a
>flashlight.) THIS HAS HAPPENED.
>Anyway, I am no more afraid of a 220 volt shock in a tank than a 12 or 24 or
>whatever volt shock. In fact, I am more worried about the 24 volt heating
>cable! We tend to think, "Only 24 volts, big deal."   It depends on how you
>are hooked up to it!  It also depends quite a bit on whether the 24 volt
>current source is completely isolated from the 120-240 volt main line.
And the converse is also true, of course, proving the above point, I used to
make equipment involving a voltage multiplier, which used a pp9 type 9v radio
battery to generate 48,000 volts. I have had shocks from these things, and
although it was a shock which left me on the other side of the room, no other
ill effects were noticed. If however you consider the power needed to turn over
a V12 engine can come from a 12 Volt battery, and that power 
(Watts)=Volts X Amps you realise that low voltages do not mean safety,and that
high currents are what one should be afraid of.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Spug (Sparrow) London, UK.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>