[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Current Dupla Research

>From: James Purchase <jpp at inforamp_net>
>Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 02:13:22 -0500
>Subject: Current Dupla Research

Hi Everyone,

snip
> I'm wondering what they have been doing,
>research wise, over the past ten years (aside from counting their
>money).

I think they mostly concentrated on the technical side of our hobby (new
lightning, new heating - I think in that they are trying to reinvent the
wheel ;-) -, pH meter and all the things that make our hobby more expensive.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Dupla also operate the publishing
>house AD Aquadocumenta, the company which publishes (published?) Today's
>Aquarium? This small magazine used to be available in an English edition
>but they ceased publishing it years ago although it is still available
>in German and Italian.

I think you are right.

>Dupla products and their use received extensive
>coverage in this magazine (at least when I was able to get the English
>language edition).

Although Dupla products are the only ones mentioned IMO it was not extensive
in the german edition or  I am to stupid to recognize it.

>Are there any subscribers to this list who can still get Today's
>Aquarium, in either the German or the Italian editions? Is there any
>indication in current copies of that magazine just what Dupla is up to?

The only trend in research I can see is that they want to make aquarists
think that the philosophy of Dupla can only be succsesssfull with a lot of
expensive hardware.
This is my very personal point of view!

>The reason I'm asking about this is not to criticize the company. George
>Booth obviously thinks their system works and has published wonderful
>articles and photographs proving his success with both Dupla's methods
>and their products. I hope it works (or else I'm going to end up with
>120 gallons of stinking swamp in my living room). But when I think about
>all of the changes that have taken place in this hobby over the past ten
>years (anybody talked to a Marine hobbyist lately?) I find it hard to
>believe that a company like Dupla would just stop their research. Or
>maybe I'm just ticked that they no longer seem to take those of us who
>live on this side of the pond (and speak English) very seriously - hence
>their lack of recent published information in English.
>
>Does anybody think that a write in campaign to Dupla / AD Aquadocumenta
>would have any positive effect, i.e. get them to publish something in
>English which would document Dupla's (or any other European company's)
>current thinking about F/W aquarium maintenance?

I think the internet is the right way to make Dupla answer such questions.
The recent issue of Aquarium heute contained an article about the exchange
of information trough the internet with positive comments. So I think this
is the point to catch them.

Patrick Aldag
email: aldag at tzv_fal.de