Date: Tue, 12 Nov 96 09:15:53 PST
From: "Alex Schaefer" <alex_schaefer at studio_disney.com>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: snails

     I hope that you can assist me with some information about a certain
     snail/ parasite relationship that I saw on a docmentary on the
     Discovery Channel.  I don't know the names but let me describe to you
     what I saw.  There is a certain parasite that dwells in birds stomachs
     and all it wants to do is get into other birds.  When is gets excreted
     from a bird, there is a good chance that a snail will consume the
     poop, for lack of a better term.  This is where things get exciting.
     The parasite, in it's effort to get back into another bird, takes over
     the snails' brain and eyes and, like a zombie, forces the snail to
     climb a tree and stop in a most exposed and obvious place so that a
     passing bird will eat the snail and the life cycle can continue.  That
     is a brief description, but what I would like, and you may be able to
     help here, is names or pictures, or books, or web addresses, or
     resources where I could find out more about these creatures.  I hope
     that I gave you enough info in my summary of the show that you know
     what I'm talking about.

     Thanks!

     alex