[Prev][Next][Index]

Water chemistry tests

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Cees Lensink" <lensink at irlgrace1_grace.cri.nz>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:55:22 GMT+1200
Subject: water chemistry tests

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the digest for a long time now and really enjoyed
all the discussions that took places and the info that was made
available. I have, however, never crossed the threshold of posting
something to the list until now. I came across a www page by Anton
Gabriel (Toni) I think might be of interest to some of you. The url
is
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gabriel_anton/homepage.htm.
In these pages Toni descibes several procedures for testing water
parameters such as alkalinity, general hardness, nitrate, nitrite,
CO2 etc that can be easily done at home provided you can get hold of
some of the chemicals used. He even includes a homemade solution for
a simple balance to weigh small amounts of chemicals. The info is
written in German which may be problem. I have e-mailed with Toni
about this. He has no intention to translate them. He told me he has
only limited time to answer e-mail and is afraid that he will get
swamped with messages to answer if he does. He doesn't mind someone
else translating, editing and publishing the info.

So, I have taken it upon myself to translate some of Toni's info and
add my own receipes. I'm currently measuring alkalinity and general
hardness with homemade kits (actually lab made but used at home).
Once the info has been translated and compiled it will be just a
matter of finding a home for it to be published on the web.

Regards
Cees

Cornelis (Cees) Lensink, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, Advanced Materials