[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 system - is this normal?

>From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
>Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 16:33:53 -0700
>Subject: CO2 system - is this normal?

<much snipped>

>As CO2 leaves the tank, it is changing from liquid to gaseous form and
>gets colder in the process.  This may be cooling the valve, causing
>parts to contract and farbling the adjustment.
>
>More likely, the solenoid gets warm when it is on (at least, mine do).
>This may be heating the valve, causing parts to expand and farbling
>the adjustment.

I have the same problem regardless even without the solenoid installed, but
I wonder if either replacing the adjustment valve with a true needle valve
or moving it further away from the bottle might help.  That's something I
never considered.

>Probes usually don't just "break" - they degrade over time.  I would
>ask for a refund since it sounds like it was the controller.  Did you
>pay more than $36 for the probe?  Got screwed if you did.  Pet
>Warehouse has Broadley-James "Silver" pH electrodes for $36 which work
>just swell with our Sandpoint controllers.

I found another new probe I'd forgotten I had, and it works fine, so I guess
the other new one was simply defective.

>> Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.
>
>Insight #1: Their CO2 systems work somewhat worse than their
>temperature controllers, which are mostly OK but marginal.

I'm generally content with Ultralife's product line, but I've always been
unimpressed with their customer service.

>Insight #2: Bummer that Sandpoint went out of business or whatever
>happened to them.

Maybe the CO2 system from Hamilton technology will fill the gap.  Looks like
it's priced reasonably, although you do have to come up with your own tank.

>Insight #3: Don't think I'll be buying much from Ultralife anymore.

My post wasn't meant to be a slam on Ultralife, although I do think they've
been less than stellar in handling this.  Mostly I wanted to find out from
people with experience whether my system was behaving abnormally and get
suggestions on what the problem might be.  Thanks.

jim